The Measles & Rubella Initiative supports implementation of the Global Measles & Rubella Strategic Plan 2012-2020.
The Global Measles & Rubella Strategic Plan 2012-2020 is aligned with the Global Vaccine Action Plan and is endorsed by the M&RI’s heads of agencies. It maps the proven strategies required to achieve a world without measles, rubella or CRS. They are:
- Achieve and maintain high levels of population immunity by providing high vaccination coverage with two doses of measles- and rubella-containing vaccines through routine immunization and campaigns.
- Monitor disease using effective surveillance and evaluate programmatic efforts to ensure progress.
- Develop and maintain outbreak preparedness, respond rapidly to outbreaks and manage cases.
- Communicate and engage to build public confidence and demand for immunization.
- Perform the research and development needed to support cost-effective operations and improve vaccination and diagnostic tools.
The Measles & Rubella Initiative supports each of these five strategies through funding, technical expertise, advocacy and its laboratory surveillance network.
The Global Measles and Rubella Strategic Plan 2012-2020 identifies 68 priority countries to support, based on the level of their routine vaccination coverage for measles and status of introduction of rubella vaccine. The following nations are the primary focus of the Measles & Rubella Initiative’s efforts:
Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Vietnam, Yemen and Zambia.
Visit the map to read about activities in these countries.
We Know How to Move Faster.